Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:32:47 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail configuration on FreeBSD - seems more difficult than on Linux . . .

As it was put forth by Louis LeBlanc on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:12:34AM -0400...
> Well, I don't seem to be able to get this right.  I tried the
> distribution version (generated by freebsd.mc) and a hacked up
> version.  I still can't get mail to send out.
>
> Here is what I am using as freebsd.mc:
> (All comment lines are removed for brevity, and I have modified the
> SMART_HOST define).
> OSTYPE(freebsd4)
> DOMAIN(generic)
>
> FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o /etc/mail/access')
> FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
> FEATURE(local_lmtp)
> FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
> FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)
> FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
>
> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.ne.mediaone.net')
> define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')
> define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
> define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
> MAILER(procmail)
> MAILER(smtp)
>
> I know this isn't going to get sendmail to deliver to cyrus, but right
> now I am more worried about getting mail outgoing.  I can worry about
> getting the other side right later.
>
> I have procmail installed with the group and user stickybits set:
> # ls -l /usr/local/bin/procmail
> -rwsr-sr-x  1 root  mail  66312 Jul 27 22:56 /usr/local/bin/procmail
>
> and deliver:
> # ls -l /usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver
> -rwsr-sr-x  1 cyrus  mail  608260 Jul 21 18:12 /usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver
>
> And still I get the same thing - though these wouldn't affect outbound
> mail anyway.
>
> Both are installed from the ports (cyrus and procmail) and sendmail is
> the FreeBSD dist version - buildworld done 2 days ago on 4.3 STABLE.
>
> Neil, I appreciate your recent suggestions, but I fear they didn't do
> the trick.
>
> Any other suggestions are most welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Lou

	I have a cable connection.  This relays all my mail through there SMTP.
My generics table changes my ipt@localhost to ipthomas_77@yahoo.com.  Maybe
you need to change the MAILER definition as you have it to FEATURE for
procmail.(see below)  I've never seen mailer specified like you have it.
Granted, my .mc isn't quite as complex, but hopefully it will help.

OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `esmtp:smtp.buf.adelphia.net')dnl
FEATURE(`local_lmtp')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`genericstable', `hash /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')dnl
FEATURE(`nouucp',`reject')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`adelphia.net')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl