Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:35:31 -0700
From:      Scanner <scanner@apricot.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lockups on machine with NFS writes to itself..

Hello,

I have recently installed a machine FreeBSD 2.2.6.  This machine
has an 8.4gig IDE drive and a 4gig UW Seagate attached to an Adaptec 2940UW.
The machine has 64mb of RAM, with a plain intel P166.

When a user is doing some large writes to partitions mounted
via NFS on the local machine (using amd.. I am not sure why
the linkfs option is not working although the same maps
work on other machines) the machine nfs server will hang
and eventually the whole machine crashes and reboots.

In the logs I only have messages like these:

Apr 27 12:19:38 kamidake /kernel: nfs server kamidake.apricot.com:/extra3/home/p
omru: not responding
Apr 27 12:22:23 kamidake /kernel: nfs server kamidake.apricot.com:/extra3/home/z
ed: not responding
.... some stat messages from popper edited out ...
Apr 27 12:46:36 kamidake /kernel: nfs server kamidake.apricot.com:/extra3/home/e
merson: not responding
Apr 27 12:49:19 kamidake /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
Apr 27 19:58:27 kamidake /kernel: Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc.

I had already (before this) increased MAXUSERS to be 20. Is this
indeed the problem? Should I up MAXUSERS again? If so, how far?
Right now I am going to up it to 40 since the machine should have
more than enough resources to handle the extra space that entails.

Another annoying problem is that when the machine crashes, it
does not come up all the way. Yes, the it comes up, fscks the partitions
since it did not shut down gracefully, it then says it could not
remount / since it was dirty and sits waiting for me to to tell it
what shell to use.

Did it not used to, if it fsck'd /, reboot then to do the remount?

Any help is appreciated.

--Scanner	(scanner@apricot.com)