Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:15:18 -0600
From:      Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com> types:
> > 1. C++ is a more difficult language than C because it does more stuff
> > than C. Ditto vs Java.
>
> No, it doesn't do more stuff than C, Neither does Java. See the
> Church-Turing thesis. Java and C++ are harder to learn because they
> have more *features* than C.

Sorry, I thought "had more features" was something like "did more".

For example, assembly language doesn't do anything Python can't, but
Python does more (at least, per statement) than assembly language.

I'm not sure I  understand your point. Are you trying to say that all
Turing complete  languages are equally difficult?

> > For years I have been seeing this assertion on the net over and over. I
> > still don't see the expected result (ie, Java applications displacing
> > C/C++ applications).
>
> I see it happening, then the products vanish because they can't
> compete on a speed basis. VM's were a good idea when UCSD did it back
> in the mid 70s. I think the hardware is fast enough to support it now,
> but you've got to tie the parts together write.

So are you agreeing with me?

My experience is that most performance problems come about from the way
something was coded, not the language it was coded in. Even in Java, you
can do JNI functions if performance is really an issue.

> Python is succeeding in some strange places, because it's trivial to
> take a collection of subroutines that deal with a data structure they
> pass back and forth as arguments, and turn it into a Python
> object. Which means you get to play with those complex, compiled
> environments in an interpreted environment that could be used as a
> shell, if you were really crazy.

Don't know anything about Python. How does this affect C vs C++? Or Java
vs C++? or perfomance, or ... ?

Joe