Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 09:46:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY (fwd)

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > When I select FreeBSD it boots and runs fine.  I assume the ON TRACK code
> > is still being used for the IDE interface, but this doenst seem to be a

Nope, it is not, but FreeBSD noticed the OnTrack, and places itself 64
sectors behind.  It then operates with the actual sector numbers
instead of OnTrack's.  (Disclaimer: i don't use IDEs, that's only the
way how i understood it.)

> > problem.  This system gets most of its real stuff over NFS so a small disk
> > was used.  I was careful to get both Boot partitions under the 500M limit.
>
> Right.  See above.
>
> The 500M limit comes from the BSD inability to talk to the controller
> using an LBA adressing mechanism.  The BSD *does* see the OnTrack and
> do the 64 sector offsetting.

BSD does not have a 500 MB limit.  It can speak whatever the hardware
allows for, this is c<=65535, h<=15, s<=255.  For disks that are used
in a BIOS environment as well, the `s' limit is 63 however.  This
would still account for 65536*16*31 = 32505856 blocks, or 15872 MB.

--
cheers, J"org