Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 12:22:53 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) (Fwd) File descriptors-do I have Bad Breath?

> From:          Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
> Subject:       Re: (Fwd) (Fwd) File descriptors-do I have Bad Breath?
> To:            chaos@tgci.com
> Date:          Tue, 13 May 1997 06:30:33 -0500 (CDT)
> Cc:            questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Thanks Alec, it has helped!

> 	If you are not a C programmer, this will not make

I'm not a C programmer, but can make some sense of it.

> 	So no, bad file descriptors are not caused
> 	(directly) by disks.  In fact, you can get bad file
> 	descriptor messages when working with non-disk
> 	related things, such as sockets.  It is much more
> 	likely that you are hitting some configured-in limit
> 	of your system.  Try typing
> 		limit

Ok, this would make sense when I'm doing a new kernal.  A lot of
files are presumably involved and some sort of limit *might* come
into effect.  Although this system doesn't do much more than sit
there serving one web page and sendmail/imap for one person, me.
I can't try the "limit" command, I'm trying to upgrade to 2.2.1 right
now.  Been trying since Sun--wccdrom seems very slow!  :(

> > find: /usr/include/machine: Bad file descriptor
> > find: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int/loop.c: Bad file descriptor
> > find: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int/obstack.c: Bad file descriptor
> > etc

But why would this show up in syslog?  From what I'm getting these
should have disappeared after the failed kernal compile?  Assuming no
other process is accessing them.  And fsck doesn't help.

> Hope this helps.  I'd guess most people who read your first postings
> assumed someone else would answer.

Again, thanks for the info.  I was beginning to think I was
contagious!   :)

Riley