Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:58:43 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp -dedicated....how dedicated?

I'm investigating ways to keep my ADSL line up as much as is possible. I'm
currently using ppp -auto, however while this is fine if i'm inside my
house trying to get "out", when I'm outside the house it may have
disconnected itself, and unless something inside the house tries to send
info out, it won't be connected so I won't be able to get in, if you see
what I mean.

So, I'm going to try the -dedicated switch rather than auto, then if I get
disconnected by my ISP, for whatever reason, it will automatically keep
trying to bring the line back up.

The question I've got is, for how long will it keep trying to bring the
line back up? Will it do it indefinately?

I've read through the docs I can find on this, and none seem to say what
happens in the event of it not being able to connect for an extended period
of time.....say my ISP dropped the line for five hours, would
ppp -dedicated bring it straight back up after this, or would something
have timeed out?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark Hughes     clean.me.badger.please@wellgroomedbadger.co.uk