Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:24:21 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za, Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

> Where ZIP_t is an opaque type:

Oooh, getting Snazzy here.  Does this mean you want it in C++ now?
*grin*

> int	zip_add(ZIP_t zp, char *fname, int link)
>
> Add file fname to zip file (which must be writable).
> If fname is a link and link is true, the link will be stored
> as a link, otherwise what it points to will be stored.

Since the ZIP format doesn't have a concept of links, it will only store
filenames.  Unfortunately, this means that we can't do symlinks inside
of zip files. :(

Is this going to be a show stopper?

> int	zip_fdopen(ZIP_t zp, char *fname)
>
> Return a file descriptor for an entry in a zip file.  When a read from
> the new fd returns EOF, a zip_close() on the fd should be done to
> clean up any state lying around.
> Returns new fd on success or -1 if entry not found/open failed.
>

> int	zip_fdclose(ZIP_t zp, int fd)
>
> Close a file descriptor previously returned by zip_open().
> Returns 0 on success, -1 on error.

Hmm, the above 2 could get interesting.  I'm not sure how you'd do that,
in the same way I'm not sure how you'd do that with files inside a tar
file.

Nate