Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:22:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ibrahim Korpeoglu <korpe@cs.ucr.edu>, frebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: single user mode

On Wed, 18 March 1998 at 15:28:49 -0800, Ibrahim Korpeoglu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I boot freebsd in single user mode?

Specify the -s flag to the Boot: prompt.

> is there a way to login with a different shell at the login prompt?

Not directly.  Do you want to use different shells at different times?
There's nothing to stop you from starting one shell from another, for
example:

$ csh
% bash
bash$ sh
$

If you want to permanently change your shell, use chsh.  There's a
section about this in the most recent addenda to "The Complete
FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm)-- see
http://www.lemis.com/errata-2.html.

Greg