Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:54:11 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Eric Lam <ecrim@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise Ultra 66 Support in FreeBSD 4.3

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 08:01:05PM +0100, Eric Lam <ecrim@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Does FreeBSD 4.3 "fully" support Promise Ultra 66 controllers?  FreeBSD 4.3
> detects and sees my hard drive attached to my Ultra 66, however this error
> message crops up during startup...
>
> ad4: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata2: resetting devices .. done
> ad4: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ad4: trying fallback to PIO mode
> ata2: resetting devices .. done
>
> If it 4.3 does support Ultra 66, please detail the manner of supporting
> it...  Drivers, kernel recompilation, etc...  Thanks.

There's only one way, you have ata driver compiled into kernel or
not. The only tuning you can do is described in ata(4) manpage.
This particular error can be caused by bad cable/connection, dying
drive (yesterday my 37GB IBM died after several weeks of emitting
such messages) and buggy firmware/drivers. Almost anything. Better
be cautious and back up your important data 8-), because I did not.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee