Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:35:56 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Mike Spengler <mks@networkcs.com>
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org, harp@magic.net
Subject:   Re: Set prefix ?

Mike Spengler wrote:

> Thierry Herbelot said:
> >
> > I was trying to set prefix with a sigPVC signalling, and it seems it's
> > not possible.
> >
> Correct...this is for setting the NSAP address prefix for an interface, which
> only makes sense in a uni30/uni31 signalling environment.  For uni3[01]
> signalling, the NSAP prefix can either be set via the 'atm set prefix' command
> or automatically via ilmid(8).

OK, got it (I read it in the sources, actually)

> > I still have problems downloading the Fore microcode : the
> > /sbin/fore_dnld does not seem to work each time (some times I start it
> > twice, and the µcode loads on the second try :-(()
> >
> What happens with the first download try?  Does it just hang forever, spit
> out any error messages, ???

It just waits a long time without giving an error message, then exits.
If I give a second try, it seems to be downloading ok (at least, there
is some activity on the link, as the LD on the switch begins to blink).

I have got a full, complete hang of the machine after using a "fore_dnld
-r -d /etc" - the Compaq was completly blocked : no response to
keyboard, no response to ping on the Ethernet, no response on the On/Off
switch (it's an ATX board). I had to unplug the electricity plug to
restart the beast.

I've also tried to add some debugging messages, but it didn't help.

We have installed another for board in an old P5-75 from HP, and still
have problems downloading the microcode at startup.

	TfH