Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:05:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kirk@mckusick.com>
Subject:   Re: fsck pass sanitizing patch

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>         There is no way to tell it that ccd0c overlaps ad0 and ad1.
>
>         With the patch, it will do it this way:
>
>         pass 2:
>         One process doing ad0s1e
>         One process doing ad1s1e and ad1s1f
>
>         and when they are complete:
>
>         pass 11:
>         One process doing ccd0c

I've always assigned a ccd (this would apply to Vinum volumes as well,
I'd think) a pass number of 1.  According to the fsck manual page,
each filesystem with a pass number of 1 is processed by itself.  The
code might say something different (which I've looked at but can't
quite figure out how that is handled).  If assigning a pass number of
1 doesn't do that, we probably should either fix the code so it does,
or change the manual pages to match.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org