Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:22:42 +0100
From:      Tom Brown <Tom@mercia.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   panic can't mount root!

Hi,

I'm trying to install BSD onto my Dell XGM 5166.

With:
Adaptec 2940 (PCI) SCSI adaptor,
seagate ST41650N 1.3Gb Disk (176 virtual Cyilinders)
Quantum Fireball 2Gb (IDE)
AWE64 Sound card (ISA)
3com Etherlink III (on board)
pheonix 3STrio64V+ (on board)
Bus mouse.

What happens?

Well I boot from the floppy and proceed with the installation.  Durin the
installation I edit the partition to allow use of all of the SCSI drive.  It
asks wd0 or sd0, I choose sd0. I mark the partition as bootable and quit.

I then get the option of installing the boot manager, the first time I
selected yes and quit, the second time I selected no and quit (see results).

I then get the label editor to automaticaly set the size and the partition
names and quit.

Finally I sucessfully extract all of the distributions to the SCSI drive and
set the root password.

The machine then reboots.

It then goes to the IDE bootmanager and gives me the options:

	F2 dos.
	F5 boot from other disc
<<F5>>
	F1 BSD
	F5 boot from other disc
<<F1>>
	I seems to run through the hardware probing and setting up until it
gets to:

		"transfering system to sd1a
		panic: can't mount root!

		REBOOT!"

And without the boot manager installed:

	F2 dos.
	F5 boot from other disc

	I select F5 and the system hangs with "partition not bootable!"

As you can see it seems to be some kind of issue with the the bootmanager
and the partition setup.  I did note that the device 'sd1a' isn't a physical
device as the only device is 'sd0' the one and only SCSI drive (ID2 to allow
the boot to take place from the first IDE drive).

The root is designated in the label editor as mounted on device 'sd0s1a'.

Help, I have only one idea left which is to set the SCSI drive as the first
drive to boot.  I doubt this will work as the message tends to imply the
drive is not set bootable.

One final peice of information, I already had BSD running on the IDE, but
the system expanded and filled up it's partition (500Mb of 2000Mb) hence my
use of the SCSI drive which is new to this machine.  The old BSD partition
is now FAT16.

It would be nice if I could fix this without having to reinstall the system
again as it takes a very long time for the ports collection to be loaded.

Thank you very much for your time.

Tom Brown