Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 2016 07:45:58 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Ross <basarevych@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I upgrade 9.1 straight to 10.2?

Hi,

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 17:23:18 +0200
Ross <basarevych@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a server with an old installation of FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE. Can I
> just download 10.2 sources and do installworld and installkernel
> there?
>
> Or should I install all the releases in between one by one?

it is very simple. Make a backup, make a snapshot, download the latest
sources. Just be careful with mergemaster. I would do it by hand.

If you can't compile the latest sources on the old machine, go to 10.0
first. I do not think that you have to go through all releases between.
10.0 might be the only obstacle.

Erich