Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:07:31 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file systems

On 26 March 2014 15:38, Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i am in need to install *BSD on a 16T partition. I would like to OBSD, but
> someone from the OBSD community told me that altough OBSD uses ufs2, fsck
> would take to much time and memory against this partition.
>
> I wonder if FBSD can really handle large partition with no side effects.
> What FS should i use with FBSD?
>
> Sorry if this question seems to basic; it dues to my lack of experience
> with FBSD.

You're talking about a single filesystem of 16TB?  Well, depending
on how you plan to use it, that might work.  It will probably take
several GB of memory to fsck such a monster.

You can use zfs, which will need several GB of memory all of the
time, but was designed to handle such terrible big things.

FreeBSD also recently (in the last decade) added SU+J
(q.v. http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/22716.html )
which may work for such a horrible large thing.