Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 08:15:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        mss@crl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stan@mos.com.np
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic IP addr

In a previous message, Michael Slaughter said:
> Good people:
>
> My ISP (crl by name) dynamically assigns IP addresses to individuals
> with PPP accounts. I am one of these, just one person with one computer.
> But I also now have a registered domain name.
>
> What can you tell me about FreeBSD in this regard? (That is, could I,
> with FreeBSD, retain my current PPP account and be able to use my domain
> name?)
>
> Regards from just south of San Francisco,

I think you'll need your ISP to host the domain for you. My ISP
will do it for free. Other's think you're a business and charge you
3-4 times a personal account.

Your ISP could either virtually host mail account(s), or perhaps
store and forward mail, probably uucp, but maybe straight sendmail,
without a static address, this could be tricky.

Paul.

--
To most people, solutions mean finding the answers.  But to
chemists, solutions are things that are still all mixed up.