Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 22:09:37 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jleppek@suw2k.hisd.harris.com (James Leppek)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: could tunnel device do this?

James Leppek wrote in message ID
<9604221350.AA06758@suw2k.hisd.harris.com>:
> This is really a 2 part question:

> part 1: what would be the best way to route all IP packets from a
>         ethernet card to a process, I am guessing that the tun
>         device could do this.

I don't think you can do this. The `tun' device acts like a normal
network interface, and has it's own route, etc, so you couldn't just
dump all the traffic from an ethernet onto it, the packet would have
to be routed to the i/f. Perhaps the `bpf' device is what you're
looking for?

> part 2: what kind of thruput could be expected when doing this? If I had
> 	a pentium 166 could it saturate a 10Mbit line? What % of a 100Mbit link

Dunno ... you were asking in part one about dumping ether -> process,
not vice versa!

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.