Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 10:26:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just CVS (was Re: CVS question, sendmail, named)

Hmmmm.... doing a 'make release' without a CVS repository might be a
little hard.  It checks out a revision of the source for the release you
are building from CVS. However, you could certainly look through
/usr/src/release/Makefile to see if you could short-circuit things a bit
to use a copy of your local sources (skipping CVS.)

One other thing you will want to know if you start rolling your own
releases:  you'll need to be running a kernel with the vn pseudo-device,
as in:

pseudo-device   vn              #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)

If you have a slow machine and start a make release without running a
kernel that has this compiled in - you will get an unpleasant surprise :(

You don't NEED to have the CD-ROM to get the CVS repository, particularly
if you are in a LAN environment and have 56KB or greater connectivity.
Doing the initial download over a slow dialup is likely to be
unsatisfying.

-Chris