Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:10:05 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OS Textbook FreeBSD Appendix

In message <2652E782-144C-11D6-B323-00306544D642@mac.com>, "Justin C.Walker" cleopede:
>>> I've took a brief look on Unix presentation and was wondering, why
>>> author says that "...most Unix systems have not permitted shared
>>> memory because the PDP-11 hardware did not encourage it..."?

>> where'd they get this? that's an odd statement. Shared memory was
>> used all the time on Unix on -11s, that's the whole point of the
>> shared text a.out format. Of course shared read-only text is not
>> exactly the standard shared memory, but at the same time it shows
>> feasibility. The address space was so small though that other
>> mechanisms were used.

>I'd guess that the point deals with the use of "shared memory" between
>processes for the purposes of sharing data.  Given the granularity of
>the PDP-11 "VM" hardware, it seemed like a bad tradeoff, and wasn't
>considered useful until long after the PDP-11 went to the Boston
>Computer Museum, where it sipped tea and complained about the Red Sox.

Well, on PDP11s, which I used for V6, V7, and 2.8 & 2.9 BSD, you
could share text memory, as has already been stated, and IIRC you
could also share data memory after a vfork (once vfork became
available on 2.9).  It seems to me that I actually used the vfork
memory sharing trick for some kind of primitive multithreaded
program at one point.  I think the limitation was that you couldn't
map a small piece of memory & share it among processes, only all
text or all data, but I admit my memory is almost gone, and I don't
remember PDP/11 architecture all that well either.

Greg Shenaut