Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:10:41 -0400
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: request for your comments on release documentation

On Jun 27, 2013, at 7:24 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> Mark Felder wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:49:21 -0500, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> [...]
>=20
>>> 3. Is there missing information which should be in the relnotes?
>>> Probably there are some missing items for each release, but this
>>> question is one at some abstraction level. Link to commit log and
>>> diff, detailed description of major incompatible changes, and so
>>> on.
>>=20
>> I try to keep up with the development and changes in releases as best =
>> can and I haven't noticed any glaring omissions over the last several
>> releases. I think you're doing a fine job.
>>=20
>> Also, is there a reason this isn't a "living" document that can be
>> updated as things get MFC'd to STABLE? It would help take load off =
your
>> end and maybe speed up release once the freeze has happened and we =
begin
>> the final grind through release candidates.
>=20
> It would be nice if all release related documents (relnotes, errata, =
hardware notes etc.) will be "living" after release (in online version) =
and not considered as set in stone. There are sometimes missing items =
which should be included online as soon as possible, but rarely are.
>=20
> For example, I found two issues with OpenSSH in 8.4 release. (bugs or =
features, or just incompatibilities with older versions) None of them is =
listed anywhere and I think it is really bad, because one issue can =
cause sshd not started after upgrade.
>=20
> So the online version of these docs should be "living" and updated as =
some issues and questions arises on the mailing lists and forums few =
days / weeks after release.

Additionally, it would be nice if the documentation for beta and RCs was =
posted before the actual release as well.  Just like the OS itself, docs =
can be "beta" and open for feedback from the community.  It's also nice =
to know about changes before you upgrade a box for testing as well - for =
example, the jail changes and zfs version bump in 8.4 were something of =
a surprise for me (I follow -stable, but not much else).  If the project =
wants people to test before release, having a list of changes, major and =
minor to focus on would probably net the project more useful feedback.

I'm also all for the "living" document idea.  It seems like the mailing =
lists always have a few issues that are documented nowhere else because =
they don't quite merit a ERRATA notice (eg: dhclient/fxp issue).

Thanks,

Charles

>=20
>=20
> On the other hand, FreeBSD has good quality of docs included Release =
Notes. (thank you for your work!)
> If there is some "man power", some items can be more detailed with =
links to other online resources like FreeBSD wiki, but only for some =
important items.