Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:00:14 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Sabapathi, Vanishree" <vanis@lsil.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reg: Claiming a device which is already claimed by another driver.

> > Hi,
> > I am writing a charecter driver for a pci-ide controller, my problem
> > is that atapci driver already claims my device. So in essence I need to
> > detach the atapci driver from my device and claim it....
> > I have tried using the bus_generic_detach to detach the atapci driver,
but
> > now how will I be able to attach to it??

If you're writing a new driver for a PCI-IDE controller, then you'll have to
remove the default FreeBSD driver for that particular device from your
kernel, so that the device isn't taken when you attempt to start your
driver.

This would require removing any of the 'device ata' lines from your kernel
config, adding in the proper line for your new driver, rebuilding your
kernel and then debugging from there.  ('options ddb' is good when writing
new kernel drivers.)

--
Matt Emmerton