Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:47:01 +0800
From:      Clive Lin <clive@CirX.ORG>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reproduceable current kernel panic.

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 02:29:40AM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 04:13:37PM +0800, Clive Lin scribbled:
> | may panic because of several IPFIREWALL options. The panic message I could
> | tell is about trap 12, swi6: clock and page fault. And the machine hangs
> | solidly right away, I have no idea how to provide a back trace :(
>
> What is your motherboard and hardware config?
My mobo is Gigabyte GA-BX2000
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/bx2000.htm
The CPU is a Celeron 300A, no overclocking during kernel panic test.

Other adaptors are HPT 370, ES1371, xl0 and ed0.

> Finally, have you tried upgrading 4.1.1-R to RELENG_4 and newer -current?
> I have presmpng, smpng, and 4.2-BETA on my lan working fine.

Well, via several kernel panic tests, I hope I've found out the key
problem. I usually setup dummynet to limit my upstream bandwidth,
especially ssh out, ftp out, cvsup out. This could explain why ssh
doesn't cause panic while I do ssh localhost. And why it panics even I
didn't do anything. (There's a crontab cvsup, and I limited cvsup
upstream bandwidth by dummynet)

And after I commented out all ipfw pipe and pipe config lines in my
firewall script file, no more panics.

Though I don't know how to fix it, I'll try to provide more
information for real kernel hackers to fix :-)

--
CirX - This site doesnt' exist.
9c  k9o h9 s1bg s1f=, 7v  .y xqx a  sj m8r ffg1 vg5 a6 asox tmul h38 =.