Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:09:09 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        nangergong <nangergong@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two questions:1 relationship between dummynet and wireshark 2 how to add latency for each packet to be sent

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:43:12PM +0000, nangergong wrote:
> Hi???
>
>   Thank you so much for your reply. I used the windows version of
> dummynet/IPFW, so is it the same that wireshark will intercept
> incoming traffic before dummynet, and outgoing traffic after dummynet? Coz

it all depends on where you run dummynet and where you run wireshark
(is there a windows version of it ?)
All i can tell you is that
- on FreeBSD and linux, dummynet intercepts packets at the IP level,
  and wireshark sits just on top of the device driver (using bpf or
  similar mechanisms);

- on windows, it acts as a miniport driver (so, it probably
  gets the full packet including MAC headers), but i have no idea
  where wireshark works -- it might be a miniport driver as well,
  in which case the order of loading might be relevant

cheers
luigi