Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:41:33 -0600
From:      Soren Harward <soren@byu.edu>
To:        Robert Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting natd

On Sat 26 Oct 2002 at 14:18:01, Robert Hall said:
> I'm setting up a FBSD 4.4 box as a gateway. I've got
>      natd_enable="YES"
>      natd_interface="ppp0"
> in rc.config, but I can't get natd to run without entering
>      natd -interface ppp0
> at the comand prompt. I assume this is a configuration problem, but I've
> been through the files several times and can't find an error. Can someone
> tell me how to get natd to run automatically?

According to the manpage, natd is designed to be used with ethernet-type
permanent connections that start at boot.  What happens is that natd
starts, using ppp0, which isn't active at boot time, and then shuts
down.  Use the PPP daemon's nat option instead (see 'man natd').

--
Soren Harward
soren@byu.edu