Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:31:34 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

On 05-Jan-01 Matt Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Duncan Barclay wrote:
>>
>> I will be getting some cards and an AP from Raylink (www.raylink.com) to
>> test the driver properly with version 5 firmware.
>>
>> I will ensure that V4 cards default to IBSS and V5 cards to BSS.
>
> Eeek, I don't like that idea at all.  It seems eventually we'll have a
> generic Prism driver support 802.11b wi/an/ray cards.  Regardless, they
> should all default to the same network type.  IMHO, you're only going to
> confuse people.  My vote is BSS by default.

Firstly, the Prism driver will not support Raylink cards. The raylink
cards do not use an Intersil chipset - they use a Raytheon one (and
it's a lot harder to program - if_ray.c has 3650 lines, if_wi.c has
1599!). Oh, you probably meant a generic 802.11 layer.

I do agree it's messy. There are no APs that will talk to the V4 raylink
cards. I don't think the firmware does infrastructure mode.

Any ideas on how not to violate POLA for V4 raylink owners?

Duncan

---