Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 23:12:21 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        jcouch@netdoor.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loading the snd_sb16 module at boot up

On Friday 25 May 2001 10:15, you wrote:
> How do I go about loading the sb16 module at boot up automagically?
> do I just add
> kldload snd_sb16
> or what to my rc.conf file?
> There is bound to be a better way than typing the command in after every
> boot. T.I.A
> Jim

I'm not a guru, but since you've gotten no other responses, I'll give it a
shot since I've got it working for myself.

Try looking in /boot/defaults/loader.conf for the syntax to add your sound
module to /boot/loader.conf to override the defaults. Don't edit the
/boot/defaults/loader.conf file.

I use the same sound module and added this to my /boot/loader.conf :

snd_sb16_load="YES"

The sound works and my dmesg produces:

Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.conf" at 0xc046809c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_sb16.ko" at 0xc04680ec.
Preloaded elf module "snd_sbc.ko" at 0xc046818c.
Preloaded elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc046822c.

Of course it will also show by running kldstat.

If there's a better way, hopefully someone will follow-up.

HTH,

Randy