Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:24:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com (Koster, K.J.)
Cc:        t.vanklaveren@student.utwente.nl ('Theo van Klaveren'), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: audiofs mixing audio and data tracks

It seems Koster, K.J. wrote:

> > I can't think of any way of accomplishing this without
> > either:
> >   1) Combining the code for AudioFS and CD9660, as both
> >      require access to the mounted device, and hacking them
> >      to respect each other, or
> >   2) Hacking the ATAPI-CD and SCSI-CD drivers to bits and
> >      teaching them about the various regions on the CD.
> >
> I'm a little surprised that the functionality of accessing a track on a
> digital storage medium and doing stuff like getting a directory listing out
> of a track are in the same chunk of code. I lived under the impression that
> there were some layers of abstraction between those two.
>
> I guess not. I learn a little every day.

Ahem, maybe its time I chime in here.
Luigi and I once had an idea of having each track on a CD represented
by a device node, ie track0 = /dev/acd0t1 track1 = /dev/acd0t2 etc etc,
that way you could mount each track with whatever fs it supported.
This could be used to do what you want, and now where the ata driver
supports odd sector sizes, there is nothing hindering doing the
mount of an audio track (given the right mount_bla util that is).
The only problem is that we have to abuse the minor# etc to
get space for the 99 tracks a CD can hold, but that is not too bad...

-Søren