Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 1996 11:32:20 -0400
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        "Christian" <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about mail -- mail gurus please help

At 10:23 AM 7/2/96 EST, Christian wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I would like to know if it is possible, using any tools available
>in UNIX - FreeBSD in particular, to set up a system that would
>automatically answer mail sent to any user on the system with a stock
>message.  [stuff ommitted]
>Ideally the user should not need to have an account on the system
>that does this forwarding.  What I mean is, that any and all mail
>sent to any name @cc.csg.peachnet.edu be sent this message, wether or
>not the user's name exists on the host.  i.e. I can send a message to
>cplazas@cc.csg.peachnet.edu or mickey_mouse@cc.csg.peachnet.edu and
>both would get the same reply even if mickey_mouse was not a user on
>the system.   Is this possible?

I would use sendmail's mailertable feature for this.  This requires:
    * Sendmail 8.7.X (preferably 8.7.5)
    * Procmail

Make sure you add the mailertable feature to your sendmail.cf file.  Create
a file called /etc/mailertable with this line in it:

    cc.csg.peachnet.edu     procmail:/etc/procmailrcs/cc.csg.peachnet.edu

(Note, once you creat the text mailertable file, you need to make a hash of
it with a command like: 'makemap hash /etc/mailertable.db < /etc/mailertable'.)

This sets things up so that inbound mail to addresses @cc.csg.peachnet.edu
are processed through the procmail recipe file
/etc/procmailrcs/cc.csg.peachnet.edu.  For example, you could insert
something like this into that file (this is a slightly modified version of
the really simply autoresponder from the procmailex man page; there is also
a more complex example that you can modify to suit your needs):

              :0 h c
              * !^FROM_DAEMON
              | (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
                  -A"X-Loop: postmaster@cc.csg.peachnet.edu" \
                  -I"From: postmaster@cc.csg.peachnet.edu"; \
                 cat /etc/autoreply) | $SENDMAIL -t

Theoretically, that should respond with the contents of the file
/etc/autoreply, but I haven't tested this to make sure I'm not an idiot and
telling you something completely wrong.

Mailertables are great.  You can have all sorts of fun with them.

Jordyn
Jordyn A. Buchanan				       jordyn@bestweb.net
BestWeb Corporation				          +1 914 271 4500
Senior Systems Administrator