Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:31:18 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne@ukc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:56:34 -0800
> From: Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
>
> --==_Exmh_1667885680P
>

> > I believe IBM is now using the ICH3 chipset which includes the Agre
> > (nee Lucent) AC'97 WinModem. This is a different beast from the older
> > Lucent WinModems and, unless something has recently changed, it is not
> > supported under FreeBSD with the ltmdm port.
>
> Yup, what he said...
>
> > FWIW, under Windows, the new modem is vastly superior to my older
> > internal modem on my 600E.
>
> Huh? I was under the impression that all the 600E's had an mWave[0]
> part? Or was that just some of them?
>
> (Model identification is all very well, until the spec varies wildly
> over the production run, doncha think?)

Yes, the 600E is an mWave. I was not comparing the Agre AC'97 modem to
the older Lucent modems, just to my previous DSP-as-modem
experience. (I'm the maintainer for the mWave modem port but don't use
it any more except for testing as I now have a T30.)

Sorry to hear that you got stuck with an mWave ISDN part. I didn't
know such a thing existed.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)