Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:10:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@atipa.com
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

On 30-Jun-98 Tony Kimball wrote:
> I'll move this to chat.
>
> Quoth Atipa on Mon, 29 June:
>:

[snip lots of alpha stuff]

> I'd feel pretty good buying Alpha hardware right about now if only
> there was an upgrade roadmap.  (That's always been the illusory carrot
> motivating hobbyist hardware choices -- historically favoring intel --
> hasn't it?  Modular upgrades, carrying over hardware from generation
> to generation.)

But it doesn't really hold true now for us hobbyist. Things change
so fast at the motherboard level that unless you upgrade every 6months
you need to buy MB, CPU and RAM new each time. I've just spent
about 3weeks trying to work out whether to get a PII, a super-7 or
a "good" TX to upgrade from my 486. In the end I went for a TX board and
spent the money I saved on a few toys (like a CDROM/sound card etc.). There
was no way that a PII or socket 7 board would survive a cpu upgrade in
say 18months time, which is when I feel I will want to
upgrade again.

Duncan
Very happy with an upgrade resulting in about 8times performance improvement.
Would be less inpressed with a PII-233 to PII-333 upgrade :-)

---