Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:51:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with ppp from 4.7-STABLE

Hello,
I have a problem with ppp, at least 2 other person reported this same
problem in freebsd-questions.

ppp hangs after a few days of running.
I use it to establish a PPPoE connection for my ADSL line.
After 3 or 4 days ppp get freezed.
ppp continue running and ifconfig reports:
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
        inet 80.116.24.247 --> 192.168.100.1 netmask 0xffffffff
        Opened by PID 69

but if I ping  192.168.100.1 it does not respond.
I must kill and restart ppp with papchap authentication and then it comes
back working again. MY ISP says his hardware is functioning well and there
are no problems on the ADSL line.
THis problem is really annoying because from time to time I found myself
disconnected without being able to track the problem.
THere is only this strange line in ppp.log

Nov  6 15:45:37 durlindana ppp[24369]: Phase: deflink: Enter pause (3) for
redialing.

I can't really understand what's happening.
anyone has some hints?
thanks

Rick