Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 20:15:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris England <cengland@obscurity.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processes in parentheses?

> Two possibilties:
>
> 1.  They're swapped out.  This is the usual reason.
>
> 2.  Your ps(1) doesn't match your kernel.  I think this is what you're
>     seeing here, since your ps itself is shown like that, and you're
>     missing things like CPU time.  I'd guess you've upgraded your
>     kernel or your userland, and not the other.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

	I had a problem similar to this after doing a make world and
building a new kernel ( from the same source tree from RELENG_3 ).
Programs that used /proc were not functioning properly.  I figured
something was out of sync, so I did make world again and built a new
kernel from the same source, with the same results.  The following day, I
updated my source tree, tried again and it worked fine.  I posted to
questions@ and got replies from others having the same problem.

Do you know if there was something broken in the code then?
( early March ).

		-Chris England