Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:43:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Zombie processes

> >   Is there any way to remove the zombie process from the system
> > without blocking the parent process ?
>
> try using a handler for SIGCHLD and do the wait there. It might be
> even better to use waitpid.

Use waitpid, wait3, or wait4.  Specify the option value WNOHANG, and
the calls will return 0 if no processes are zombied.

Alternately, set a signal handler of SIG_IGN for SIGCHLD.  This is
guaranteed to not create zombies in the first place for all POSIX
compliant or conformant OS's.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---