Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:46:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jlemon@americantv.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xemacs crashes kernel

Christopher Masto stands accused of saying:
> > > mention that I have both MFS and PROCFS in the kernel, and that MFS is
> > > mounted on /tmp (async, local).  (if this makes any difference)
> >
> > The MFS code doesn't appear to touch v_mount at all.  By contrast, the UFS
> > code does, but it appears to only read it.  If you don't mount /tmp on your
> > MFS, does the system still barf?
>
> I'm not using MFS at all and I can confirm this problem on my 2.2-GAMMA
> system.  Can't get the exact uname until I get into the office tomorrow to
> resurrect it. :-(

Hmm, looks like the NULL in the MFS code is a side issue; anyone else have
any good ideas why a vnode would have a NULL v_mount entry?  There's code
in the vfs_bio routines that explicitly checks for it, so I can only
assume that there's some call for it.

I'm inclined to go with the patch I suggested to Jonathan, and wait for
the fs experts to comment on mfs' use of a NULL mp.

Any naysayers?  This is sounding like a last-minute 2.2 fix.