Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:23:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rob <europax@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: libc.so.5 missing in FreeBSD 4.3 -- why?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Rob wrote:

> For me it was XFree86 4.10_4.  But the packages have the same name in
> stable and current.

Of course they do, they're the same software.

> Are they different?

They're linked with different libraries.

> Is there any harm to making the symlink?

Yes, it may seem like a great idea but it isn't. Problems can manifest
themselves in subtle but fatal ways. The major number of a library is
bumped when it is deemed to be incompatible with previous releases
(libc.so.4 in this case). You're asking for trouble if you try and symlink
them together.

> I've been using my X now with no wierd problems.  Wait, maybe I'm
> mistaken as I've tried to build several packages that use imake that
> have failed because some symbol not recognized.

You need to install the correct package or build the software from ports
yourself.  Trying to get around your mistake by symlinking libraries is
not the Right Way(tm).