Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:13:27 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SNAPSHOTS-no new -STABLE snapshot since Jul 21. Why?

Just fyi...

ast> I recently sent in a patch for this (compress loader, rm
ast> /boot/boot?  files) - see:
ast>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=29272

/boot/boot[12] was already removed from 5-current, so it is safe to
remove from 4-stable also. However, 5-current floppy image has yet
another hack by hosokawa-san which introduces 'kernel module floppy',
and saves lots of sizes of kernel.gz itself (and have a chance to put
back missing device drivers described in GENERIC kernel).

Anyway, it's a good news if kgziped /boot/loader works fine. I've
tested with today's 4-stable /boot/loader:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 matusita  wheel  147456 Jul 31 19:10 loader
-rwxr-xr-x  1 matusita  wheel   81508 Jul 31 19:11 loader.kgz

wow, it saves approx. 64kbytes.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA