Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:26:47 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
To:        msmith@revolution.3-cities.com (Mark D. Smith)
Cc:        wes@bogon.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why such poor PPP throughput?

Mark D. Smith wrote / a ecrit:

> > 'Lo all.  I've been noticing over the past few months that the receive
> > speed on my dedicated 28.8 PPP line has been less than stellar.  For
> > example, when ftping a pre-compressed file from my ISP (1 hop), I get
> > a maximum of 2.14 kb/sec throughput, with an average of about 1.94
> > kb/sec.
> >
> > I've talked to my ISP about it several times but they're sure it's not
> > happening at their end.  All that they've been able to determine is
> > that I'm registering lots of incoming packet errors at the terminal
> > server (which I can verify -- see below), that my connection speed
> > seems to retrain down to ~24.4 alot, and that no other subscribers
> > have mentioned low transfer speeds as being a problem.
>
> Sounds like your phone line may be noisy.  I had that problem some time
> back.

The noisy line could account for the retrain but probably not for  the
input errors. Nearly all modern  modems  do  error  correction,  which
means that data arrive slower to your machine if the  line  is  noisy,
but they are supposed to arrive undamaged.

I  would  carefully  check  input  flow control i.e. can your computer
throttle  data  coming  from  the  modem  ? (check  modem settings for
CTS/RTS  flow  control, check tty setting and PPP options for hardware
flow control too).

Now  if the server of your ISP spits out data at 38.4k to a modem that
can't  accept  it  at that rate due to poor phone line quality, then I
hope that their DTE-modem output  flow  control  does  work  either...
Other customers having better phone line quality might not need it  as
much as you do.

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE