Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:39:22 -0700
From:      Andrew Konstantinov <abkonstantinov@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp => Phase: deflink: Already in NETWORK phase

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

Hello,

I'm having some difficulties with ppp not being able to renegotiate the
connection properly. I've browsed the ppp logs and came to the conclusion t=
hat
"Phase: deflink: Already in NETWORK phase" is the source of the problem. I'm
using ppp to establish/manage my DSL link (PPPoE). Here is the ppp.conf fil=
e:

default:
 set server /var/run/internet "" 0177
 set device PPPoE:dc0
 set mtu 1492
 set mru 1492
 set cd 5
 set authname secret
 set authkey secret
 set dial
 set login
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

PPP is running in the 'ddial' mode.

Whenever the connection is dropped, the following happens:

Phase: deflink: hangup -> opening
Phase: deflink: Enter pause (3) for redialing.
Phase: deflink: Connected!
Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_ACNAME (secret)
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SESSIONID
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS
Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
Phase: deflink: his =3D CHAP 0x05, mine =3D none
Phase: Chap Input: CHALLENGE (secret)
Phase: Chap Output: RESPONSE (secret)
Phase: Chap Input: SUCCESS
Phase: deflink: Already in NETWORK phase
Phase: deflink: lcp -> open
Phase: Clearing choked output queue
Phase: deflink: open -> lcp
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_CLOSE
Phase: deflink: Device disconnected
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: lcp -> logout
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: logout -> hangup
Phase: deflink: Connect time: 121 secs: 393 octets in, 114 octets out

The same thing happens every time when the connection drop is followed by p=
pp's
attempt to renegotiate it. As you can see, it always fails.

On the other hand, if I kill ppp entirely and start the connection setup
process from scratch, everything goes well and link is established properly.
Here is the log:

Phase: PPP Started (ddial mode).
Phase: bundle: Establish
Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Phase: deflink: Connected!
Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_ACNAME (secret)
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SESSIONID
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS
Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
Phase: bundle: Authenticate
Phase: deflink: his =3D CHAP 0x05, mine =3D none
Phase: Chap Input: CHALLENGE (secret)
Phase: Chap Output: RESPONSE (secret)
Phase: Chap Input: SUCCESS
Phase: deflink: lcp -> open
Phase: bundle: Network

At this point, the link up and I'm able to communicate over it.

If I understood everything correctly, the problem is that when the ppp trie=
s to
renegotiate the connection, it uses old network phase. I guess at this poin=
t my
link's peer has already abandoned that old network phase and in order for
renegotiation to succeed, a new network phase has to be setup. But ppp fail=
s to
do that and as a result of that my peer doesn't allow any communication to =
go
through, which in its turn creates the overflow of the output packet queue.

So if everything said above is correct, then my question is: How would I fo=
rce
ppp to reestablish that network phase each time my connection is dropped? I=
've
looked at the ppp/pppctl manual pages but didn't find a solution there.

In case it's needed, here is my uname -a:=20

FreeBSD secret 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 #0: Sat Jul 10
16:47:35 PDT 2004     root@secret:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

 - Andrew

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv