Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:26:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk (Duncan Barclay)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Subject:   Re: how many tk version do oyu need...

> > in other words, either one first moves all tk80 ports to tk81 (which
> > is fine, hopefully the differences should not be too big) or it is
> But there is a bit of a problem with the compatiblilty of the code Tcl
> and C) itself to run under the different version of Tcl.  For example
> anything using itcl cannot yet run under Tcl8x because itcl doesn't work
> under Tcl8 yet.  Effectivly you are suggesting that we update the Tcl
> package itself to a new version of Tcl on behalf of the original author.

right...

> Is this wise?

may not be wise, but then let's leave each port use the tk version it
was released for -- it is less work, less risk of introducing bugs, and
no difference for the system since you still end up with the whole
spectrum of tk versions in your system

Unfortunately some useful ports are not kept up to date by the
authors. I hit this problem with multimedia tools (vat, vic, sdr,
nte, ...) each of them using a different vintage of tk depending
on the year they were released. Some of these ports were updated
to use the newer tk (e.g. vat/vic), some were not.

I understand that there might be incompatibilities and the upgrade
might require some work, but then it make no sense to upgrade only
a few ports, it would be less work (and less risk of introducing
new bugs) to let each package use its native release of tk.

	luigi