Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:48:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streaming MPEG..

Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
 > On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Note that "I-frame crippled" MPEG has pretty poor
 > > compression/quality, compared to "real" MPEG streams
 > > (with I, B and P frames).
 >
 > This is the old Xing streaming, I think.

Correct.

 > man vic, from 1995, says, that MPEG isnt supported yet,
 > contrary to former plans, and I saw a big SGI Media server,
 > that can stream 100 MPEG streams...but this is broadband.

Well, MPEG streams are (unfortunately!) not very well-suited
for transmission via lossy media, like mbone (vic etc.).
This is because of the inter-dependencies embedded in the
MPEG streams.  For example, when you lose some data while
transmitting an MPEG video (or system) stream, _all_ the
following data is useless till the next I-frame.  Similarly
for audio:  when you lose data within a layer-3 stream, it
not only destroys the current frame, but also the two next
frames (worst case).

Of course, you could restrict (or rather: cripple) your MPEG
streams to I-frames only and layer-2 audio, but then you'll
lose a good deal of compression/quality capability.  One of
the _really_ big strengths of MPEG is the ability to perform
motion interpolation and prediction, which require B- and P-
frames.

Therefore I'm not surprised that MPEG is not on top of the
to-do list for the vic developers.  MPEG is better suited
for reliable media such as TCP connections.  There are other
formats which are better suited for streaming via multicast
(mbone).

Regards
   Oliver