Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 14:10:39 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/Makefile instructions

--=-L3zPns5iiYRDETDqREIj

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 05:49 -0700, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
> My professor told me about instructions being in /usr/src/Makefile
> for rebuilding my world.  I feel better about following them because
> they are close to the command line to me and can't be out of date, right?
>=20
> I am looking at this list of makes:
>=20
> # check-old           - List obsolete directories/files/libraries.
> # check-old-dirs      - List obsolete directories.
> # check-old-files     - List obsolete files.
> # check-old-libs      - List obsolete libraries.
> # delete-old          - Delete obsolete directories/files/libraries.
> # delete-old-dirs     - Delete obsolete directories.
> # delete-old-files    - Delete obsolete files.
> # delete-old-libs     - Delete obsolete libraries.
> #
>=20
>=20
> I am wondering if I should try these out, or will it just be
> taken care of with the "cannonical" methods.  I seem to have lots
> of big problems with my configuration.. I don't know.  Things
> work, but dmesg has errors, and many ports fail and their makes,
> even if they succeed have errors and warnings.
>=20
> If I "delete-old-.." will I be messing things up?
>=20

No, it will "Delete obsolete directories/files/libraries", with the
usual meaning of obsolete. You should only need to do this when moving
to a new (major?) release.

I've redirected this to questions@, as this seems more like a 'User
question/technical support' rather than 'General technical discussion'.
Please try to keep the mailing lists on topic.

Cheers

Tom

--=-L3zPns5iiYRDETDqREIj

--=-L3zPns5iiYRDETDqREIj--