Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 23:44:47 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Bob Hinden <hinden@Ipsilon.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on 2.0.5 Install

> binaries but no X sources.  What I got was no X at all.  I think it would be
> helpful if this menu choice was clearer.

Agreed, will do!

> I found the disk partition and label parts of the install a bit skimpy on
> online documentation.  I would have been helped more if gave me more guidance
> on what to create.  Perhaps a options where it will set up all three unix
> partitions (root, swap, /usr) with default sizes for root and swap would make
> it easier.

Also agreed.

> I was also supprised to find that when I did the second install that it did n
ot
> find the labels I had created for the first install.  It made me do them over
> again.

That's because the label assignments aren't actually stored anywhere
but /etc/fstab, and I didn't particularly feel like writing a parser.. :)

> The package part of the install only tried to find a CDROM.  There did not
> appear to be a way to also get it to use FTP.  This would be a nice addition.

We need to first make the pkg tools deal with ftp somehow, which means
some way of eating pre-calculated index files.  Considering that the
pkg_manage tool already takes quite a long time to do it even with a
quad-speed CDROM, I suspect that this is the route we'll eventually go
anyway.

> Overall it was very nice and I like FreeBSD a lot!  Hope this is helpful.

It was, thanks for the feedback!

					Jordan