Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net (Frank Seltzer)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Comments wanted on new system

> I am assembling a new system to run FreeBSD. The proposed hardware
> currently consists of :
>
> 	Asus P6RP4 Pentium Pro 200 motherboard

I would highly recommend _not_ getting this board, it uses the Orion
chipset, which is older and known to have certain bugs.  ASUS is now
in production with the PCI/I-P6NP5 board based on the newer Natoma
chipset, the boards are still on allocation, but I am not having much
problem getting them.

> 	64 megs RAM
> 	Asus SC200 SCSI controller
>
> I had originally wanted to get a 4.3 GB hard drive for this system but the
> price (900-1000) is prohibitive. I am therefore considering 2-3 1.0-1.6 GB
> drives at 250-300 each (all prices are USD). Does anyone have any
> suggestions or recommendations to make about this idea? Any favorite
> drives to recommend?

You might want to consider the Micropolis MC4421, new on the market, but
at an attractive price/performance point for 2G drives (street price should
be less than $550.)

Many of the high performance 1G class scsi drives are gone from the market,
you might find some one with Fujitsu M1606SAU's... going price is in
the $250-$275 range.