Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:23:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Valentino Crimi)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

As the well known Thomas Valentino Crimi said...
->
->   One alternative I'd like to propose is an icons.db file, laid out for
->optimum keysearch, with the .ICON elf section possibly containing a
->unique identifier for the binary.  The .db file could contain multiple
->versions of each icon, in all the popular styles, and the user could
->have his/her own .icons.db file which is searched prior to the system
->list.  Next comes /usr/local/share/icons.db where the administrator
->could install 'icon packages' to override system-default binaries as
->well as icons for the ports. Now, from here we would need to add in some
->pkg_add, pkg_delete like utilties icon_add, icon_delete which access
->this db.. the syntax could look like
->
-> icon_add <binary name> [stylename:iconfile]...
->
->where icon_add could extract the unique identifier from the binary, and
->then add in the iconfile.  The user can then always retrieve icons of
->any style type from the db, and everyone can have the interface they
->want.
->
->I volunteer to send patches if people want this  :)
	I think this idea is far more better than putting ressources
	into the executable. Those magic could be generated by md5 or
	something else. In addition to icons, we could have a
	generic way to handle any kind of ressources (dtd for usage
	and so on).

	It just need a decent interface, a way to avoid duplication
	of ressources, and we have it.
->
-><just kidding>  icond? anyone? </just kiodding>
->
->Thomas