Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:45:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Mike Zanker <A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Kernel panic with recent RELENG_3

I have a PII-400 on an ABIT BX6 running 3.0 stable with the kernel
cvsupped on 02/01 and the rest of the system on 01/29.  The IBM Deskstar
16GP has its UDMA turned on with an a0ff flag.  On 02/01 I compiled a new
kernel which included a commit to if_wb.c which corrected an unitialized
variable; the machine then crashed within 15 minutes of boot about 6 times
using either the new kernel or the old kernel (indicating the commit to
if_wb.c isn't the problem). The system paniced with a page fault in kernel
mode error.

First I tried squirting silicone lube on the cpu fan's bearing (does
anyone know of a pentium CPU fan which does not get stiction within 6
months?).  The fan then ran properly, but the machine still crashed.

I made the following adjustments in a hail-mary to make it work
at 12:30am:

1) Tear down and rebuild the computer.  Blast every socket/slot/disk
   connector/card/dimm/cpu with canned air.
2) Disable bridging
3) ifconfig ed0 down (ed0 is a 10mbit SMC ELITE16 which has worked without
   problems since 1991; it was connected to an otherwise empty hub
   intended to connect windoze pc's for game playing.  On the last working
   boot, there were numerous "unmuting ed0" "errors" logged to the
   console.  Perhaps the random rebooting came from here.
4) Physically disconnect ed0 from its hub.

Please remember that no change was made to the hardware, other than power
cycling after a shutdown -h now (I have a very old scsi-1 disk which will
not re-probe after BSD negotiates a transfer rmode other than the
default).

 The machine has been up for about 30 hours now without crashing.  I've
recently seen several new complaints about UDMA, and am thinking something
might be unitialized in the driver

After all these complaints of similar panics/random lockups with UDMA, I'm
suspect I might be *randomly* experiencing this problem, meaning that on
some boots a config register has the correct random value, on other boots
its wrong.  If you get lucky, its stable :)

I am completely aware that 3.0-STABLE will not be as stable as 2.2, and
would like to help smoke out the bugs.