Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:56:03 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   non-working kghostview (for KDE222)

Hello,

I can't seem to get kghostview working on my home machine (the rest of
the kde222 packages work fine)

this is with the latest port (KDE: 2.2.2) and recent versions of
ghostscript, both gnu and apfl (ghostview is also installed)
I've the error with kdegraphics installed with the packages fetched from
freebsd.kde.org and locally compiled from the (up-to-date) ports tree

kghostview displays the correct number of pages in the left-hand pane,
but only displays blank pages where the content of the pages should be
(with the hour clock for "waiting")

this must be some kind of pilot error, as another machine runnning
4.4-Rel displays the PDF docs correctly with the same version of
kghostview.

these are the error messages put out when trying to render a PDF
document :

-------------------
multi% kghostview&
[1] 84490
multi% kghostview (kdegraphics): KGVConfigDialog::readSett
kghostview (kdegraphics): KPSWidget::layout()
kghostview (kdegraphics): KGVMiniWidget: pdf2dsc started
kghostview: setgroups: Operation not permitted
kghostview (kdegraphics): KGVMiniWidget: pdf2dsc exited
kghostview (kdegraphics): KGVMiniWidget::showPage( 0 )
kghostview (kdegraphics): KGVMiniWidget::orientation( 0 )
kghostview (kdegraphics): KPSWidget::layout()
kghostview (kdegraphics): KPSWidget::setup()
kghostview (kdegraphics): KPSWidget: starting interpreter
kghostview: setgroups: Operation not permitted
-------------------
multi% kghostview -version
Qt: 2.3.1
KDE: 2.2.2
KGhostView: 0.12
multi% uname -a
FreeBSD multi 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #1: Sun Nov 25 22:03:34 CET
2001     th@multi:/files3/recup4/obj/usr/src/sys/multi  i386
multi%

(the kernel was compiled with the world two weeks ago)

I've tried to find the "setgroups: Operation not permitted" error
message in the source code of the kdegraphics programs, but without any
success.

--
Thierry Herbelot