Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:45:05 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        Iasen Kostov <ikostov@otel.net>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: host routes for interface addresses

Iasen Kostov wrote:

> >   You might want to take a look at Marko Zec's VIPA patches that he posted to
> > -net a few days ago.  You should be able to find it in the mailing list
> > archives under the subject "Patch for review: source VIPA".
> >
>   It will work only if I can arpresolv VIPA and ofcourse resolve it to the
> right iface lladdr. In other hand we could set same lladdr on all ethernet
> ifaces.

The VIPA interface is an internal loopback, aka "virtual", as its name implies.
Therefore it doesn't have an underlying link layer, so you can't do ARP on VIPA.
The idea is to dynamically advertise this internal address to the outer world, so
that in case one phy ifc would go down, the VIPA could still remain reachable via
an alternative path/interface. To accomplish this goal you need to run a routing
protocol - in my setup the plain old RIP 1 / routed combination worked just fine,
although this was just an example...

Marko