Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup hardware recommendations?

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Chris Shenton wrote:

> A disc failure on a friend's system recently got me paranoid. I've got
> a FreeBSD system with a couple gig, a SunOS box with 2 gig, and an
> Alpha which will probably have its NT lobotomized and replaced with
> NetBSD. Maybe 6GB now total.
>
> Any recommendations for backup hardware? 8mm, DAT, 4mm? Pros and cons?
> Price for media? My 150MB QIC drive is just too painful for this much
> stuff.

 I personally have used both the 8mm and the 4mm. I feel that the 4mm
 is a good solution as it is now the one that most are using. Media is
 moderately priced and it seems very stable.  8mm works great and I
 have used it for many years with out any problem.  The media is
 cheaper than 4mm..  but you cannot store as much on a single tape.
 DAT is bleeding edge..  and although seems to be stable..  I try to
 stay away from that( besides it is bloody expensive per cart..  per
 megs it is cheap..  but depends on how you do your backups.  ) Carts
 are really expensive... but store ALOT of data.

> I had considered getting one of the 1GB "Jaz" drives but the media is
> about $125/slice and for that I can buy a new hard drive! :-(

 i have looked at this too.. but it believe that it is untested for
 reliability and retention.

 For your software DEFINATELY look at amanda. It's free, It works
 great.. and it scales very nicely. If you need any help with setup or
 configuration, send me email or send to the amanda-questions list as
 I monitor that as well.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?