Date:      Wed,  9 Dec 1998 17:31:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   increased UDP latencies in -current

In the process of doing some Myrinet benchmarks, I noticed that UDP
latencies have increased markedly after upgrading from 2.2.5-stable to
3.0-current.

On identical machines (300Mhz PII, 440lx chipset, same memory
configuration) a kernel built from circa Jan. 18, 1998 2.2-stable
sources yields UDP small message latencies about 10% better than a
3.0-current kernel using both the netperf UDP_RR test & HBench-OS's
lat_udp.  A 3.0 kernel from mid July yields slightly better results
than a recent -current, but not by much.

Tests run across the loopback interface for a 1 byte message:

		RR/sec via	us/msg via
OS rev		netperf(1)	HBench-OS(2)
---------	--------	----------
2.2.5		15502.17	56.6806
3.0 (July 7)	13787.90	64.9367
3.0 (Dec 1)	13656.60	66.5090

(1)netperf2.1pl3, run via netperf -tUDP_RR -l60 -i 10,2 -Hlocalhost
(2)hbench: lat_udp.c,v 1.4 1997/06/27 00:33:58 abrown Exp $, run as
    lat_udp 10000 localhost

Running tests between machines with real hardware (full duplex 100Mb
ethernet over the fxp interface, as well as Myrinet/Trapeze) mirrors
these differences.  Larger messages (tried 1k and 8k) also mirror
these results (2.2.5 is ~10us faster).  TCP latencies appear to be
nearly identical between OS revisions, as do UDP and TCP bandwidths.

Does anybody know where the increased UDP latency is coming from?

I initially thought the culprit might be no longer moving pcb's to the
head of the hash chain in in_pcblookup_hash (removed in
in_pcb.c,1.38).  I tried replacing this code, but it doesn't make much
of a difference...

I suppose its not terribly important in the scheme of things, but it
would be interesting to know why things are slower.