Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:52:21 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   vi ! command broken by tcsh?

In vi it is no longer convenient to call processign filters on text being
written because something has changed..

For example to adjust the formatting of the paragraph you are presently in, you
would type !}fmt and the paragraph would be piped out to fmt and the resulting
output would be brought back and would replace the original. Very useful. for
example you can sort a list of items  with !}sort .

Unfortunatly something is trying to do an 'stty' command on the pipe, and the
result now always includes the line:
stty: stdin isn't a terminal
followed by the formatted text..

{after some more experimentation}
it appears to be the new csh.
(tcsh)

the old csh worked, and if I set teh shell to be sh it works.
It's only tcsh that doesn't like this.

This is to say the least, a pain because after you hve deleted the bad line you
cannot use '.'
to format the next paragraph...

I'll add a PR tomorow if there is no quick answer.. I don't know if it's in 4.x
as well...

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org