Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:22:04 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] RELNOTESng for 5-CURRENT

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:58:40AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> [Please keep me as one of the explicit recipients of this email.

> > Removing *.TXT files also makes some difficulties when ordinally "make
> > buildworld/installworld" users want to know what changes are made
> > (they should change their CVSup configulation file, checkout doc if
> > the repository is CVSuped, install DocBook via ports, and run make(1)
> > to get a plaintext of release notes).
>
> I think the only recurring cost that people are going to have to do is
> to keep a reasonably current copy of doc/.  Building the docproj port is

Reasonably current effectively means "not current" . Aka out of date.

> Umm, no, it's not just like the current doc distribution.  If you build
> a release with NODOC=YES, you don't get any rendition of the FAQ,
> Handbook, etc.  There's no *.TXT files to fall back on.
>
> Here's my thoughts...for the record, I'm weakly opposed to regen-ing
> *.TXT versions:  First, I don't want to bloat the repository with oodles
> of builds to the *.TXT files.  If we do this, it ought to be be fairly
> infrequently, like maybe once or twice a month.

Bad idea..

RELNOTES, HARDWARE etc are things that should be up to date. Not
'a bit uptodate' or 'slightly outdated'.

I really would not like to see the idea being bloated by going this route.

If people think getting the Docbook infrastructure in place is too much
work/time they should accustom themselves to reading the raw Docboot source
files.

> Like I said, I'm weakly opposed to doing this, but I'm also quite
> willing to be swayed.

Please don't be swayed.. ;)

W/